Homestead Exemptions


Homestead exemptions provide relief from property taxes by exempting all or a portion of the valuation of the homestead from taxation. You may file for a homestead exemption if you are over age 65, certain disabled individuals, or certain disabled veterans and their widows or widowers, and are owner/occupant on record of property. You may file for an exemption between February 1st and June 30th of each year.

Homestead Exemption

Homestead Exemption forms will be mailed out at the end of January to all applicants that received a Homestead in 2020. If you have not received your Homestead papers by February 8th please contact the Assessor's Office at (402)-

New Homesteads

If you have not received a Homestead Exemption before, you must be 65 before January 1, of the year that you are applying for. If you would like an application, please contact us at the number above, stop by the office at 621 North Cedar St., or come to one of the Homestead sites listed below.

Homestead Sites

  • Blue Hill at the City Building - Tuesday, April 9, 2024 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
  • Guide Rock at the Community Center - Wednesday, April 10, 2024 1:00 P M to 2:00 PM.
  • Bladen at the Firehall - Thursday, April 11, 2024 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.

Homestead Exemptions FAQ

Who May file?
Qualified applicants include:
Persons over age 65
Certain disabled individuals
Certain disabled veterans and their widows

What would disqualify me for my homestead?
If my income is over the amount allowed.
If I sell or leave my home before August 15.

How do I file?
You must file between February 1 and June 30 EVERY YEAR in the Assessor's office.
You may either pick up your form and fill it out at home or bring all of your information in and we will fill it out for you.

What do I need to bring?
You need to bring in anything you had for income. The forms that will have that information include:
*Form W-2 from Wages, Salaries, Fees, Commissions, Tips, and Bonuses, etc.
*Form SSA-1099 from Social Security Retirement Income
*Form RRB-1099 from Tier I Railroad Retirement
*Form 1099-R, Form RRB-1099-R from Pensions, Annuities, and IRA Distributions
*Federal Income Tax Return